Monday, February 18, 2008

Reflecting on a Missed Opportunity

I know that normally we use a specific format, one in which we comment on a specific political event or article occurring in the last week. I thought, given the fact that this election is nearing it's climax, that I would reflect on the past couple of weeks, including Super Tuesday.

In another Communications course, we were asked to answer a question about voter preference in relation to Clinton and Obama. When I thought about, it was difficult for me to make a choice. I did not get to vote during the Primary because I did not submit my Absentee ballot in time. Although it didn't matter in my state (Clinton won New York), I don't know that I would've been able to make a choice that I was confident with. I think Obama has a lot of great ideas and his optimism and motivation for change are appealing, but his lack of experience is a concern. Clinton is clearly more prepared to enter office, but she does not exhibit the type of enthusiasm, or innovative personality I believe we need for the presidency.

I think Obama and Clinton are both huge improvements over our current administration, and my only concern is a continuation of the Bush Administration, in the form of another Republican president. Whether it's right or not, had I had the ballot in front of me, I would have chosen the candidate who I believe, would have the best chance of beating McCain.
I regret missing my chance to vote for the Primary. I think voting is a right everyone should be proud to exercise. I won't make that mistake twice. Whether or not you plan to vote Democrat or Republican, just make sure you vote. In this time of hardship and War we can't be thankful enough for our Democratic government. We are not a democracy if we don't do our part.

I'm excited to see how the primary elections in Wisconsin and Hawaii turn out this week.

No comments: