Sunday, February 24, 2008

The (Now) Buried Lead!

A shout-out to J Goebel for finding this gem:

A Slate magazine mash-up of the film "Election". Hillary as a terribly embittered high schooler losing ground to a rising political rock star. Complete with a cameo of the Obama Girl.

Who ever imagined democracy could be so much fun? How will we ever return to the stodgy campaigns of old?? The best part: this new model (of representative, participatory democracy--with a wry sense of humor) is being exported worldwide!

2 comments:

LilyLuke said...

While I first want to admit that the clip was really funny and SO on point, I also have to say that there is some truth to this joke. And if I remember correctly, in the movie Witherspoon really was the more deserving candidate, though a little overzealous. That's where my conflict between these two candidates lies. I love Obama in concept, but I have no idea if he will deliver.

Lara Petusky said...

Eliz,
As the campaign motto reads:
"I'm asking you to believe, NOT JUST IN MY ability to bring about real change in Washington...I'M ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE IN YOURS." That's what's so exciting about this campaign. We've haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm, this level of involvement on the part of Americans, um, I think, EVER. Democracy is about participation, not about one single guy "ability" to get things done. It's the people behind a candidate that will give him leverage with Congress. Delivering requires leverage (demonstrated by wild support and record voter turnout), and he's got it. (Believe, sister, believe!)