Monday, March 31, 2008

Enough is enough...

With all the current discourse that is taking place regarding whether or not Hillary Clinton should drop out of the race for the Democratic nomination, I cannot help but notice that the Democrats are acting more and more like their mascot – the proverbial “donkey” (I don’t really feel comfortable using the term I’m thinking of on the blog, but I trust that you can figure out what I mean). It really irks me that, once again, my political party is fighting amongst itself and, in my mind, weakening its chances at unity in the national election.

Over break I had a discussion with my aunt in which she was absolutely certain that no matter what, Senator McCain would secure the presidency. According to her, the fact that Obama and Clinton supporters were so polarized against each other meant that McCain would easily steal Democratic votes from the losing candidate’s campaign. After reading an article released by the Associated Press yesterday, I am now actually coming around to my aunt’s position.

Women have remained steadfast, passionate and strong supporters of Clinton, and many have voiced their outrage that so many of her male colleagues are now asking her to step aside for the “greater good” of the Democratic party. They feel that Clinton is being asked to bow down due to her gender and, like many women have before her, being asked to sacrifice her goals for the seemingly greater goals of a man. While I agree with their point to an extent, I see the negative implications of these sentiments for the party as whole: if Obama loses the highly valuable women’s vote, where will the Democrats be come November?

Furthermore, with every new Obama surrogate that comes forward calling for Clinton to leave the race, the more the Democrats appear to be a party that is unable to be unified, and therefore unable to yield a candidate that is capable of leading our nation. As of right now, I wish that certain people in the political sphere would just stop talking and allow the race to play out as it was meant to. Stop the mudslinging and let the remaining electoral votes and the DNC figure out who is the right candidate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23869576/

No comments: