Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Democratic Unity

The past couple of weeks, my blogs have focused on the current situation of the Democratic Party. I have strongly emphasized that there is a lack of unity in the party and looked at whether this will hurt the Democrats in the general election. Before the primaries, it seemed like the Democrats had the election in the bag. Now, the lack of unity amongst the party has drawn concern on whether or not the Democratic Nominee will win the election in November. As a citizen who would like to see the Democrats regain the Oval Office, I have grown more and more concerned about the current state of the party.

I was very intrigued when I came across an article today entitled "Bringing the Democrats together." NBC News Producer Ken Strickland addressed and validated a lot of my concerns. I became more worrisome when I discovered that Senator Bob Casey of Pennsylvania shares my opinion that the unity issue is bigger than many people realize. He answers my question from last week believing that carrying out the nomination process is going to make it harder to unify the party for the general election. Casey believes that the only way the democrats can win in November is for Obama and Clinton to achieve "real unity, not just consensus." He further goes on to say, "It's one thing for Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton to work together [on] principles, but it's much harder to get your workers, your supporters to really work together and not just go through the motions. If we just have the veneer of unity and people going through the motions, John McCain wins." Do you agree with Casey's thoughts? Do you think it will be possible for the Democrats to achieve real unity?

Lastly, Strickland made me look at this whole thing from a different perspective. He questions "who's going to help heal the wounds of the party when the nominee is finally selected." I took that even further and am now trying to answer, which candidate, Obama or Clinton, will have the ability to reunite the party in time for the November election.

No comments: