Monday, March 10, 2008

Six Long Weeks

On Comedy Central last week (I'm not 100 percent sure which show though I think it was the Daily Show), a comparison was made between Barack Obama and Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog who is celebrated for his ability to predict the beginning of Spring. After Clinton won three of four contests last week, Obama "saw his shadow and this means six more weeks of primaries." I thought this was funny but It also got me thinking about how long six weeks really is.

According to the article, "Dems Brace for Six-week Brawl", this is the first time since "the advent of the internet, that a competitive presidential campaign has faced such an extended period of time between contested primaries".

For six weeks, we will be speculating about the presidential nominee for the Democratic party.

For six weeks, Senator McCain will have a head start now that he is the Republican nominee for the presidency.

For six weeks, we will have to listen to news outlets such as CNN and Fox News go back and forth, trying to find coverage where there isn't any. How many times can we hear the same arguments for both candidates. I think there is such a thing as over-saturation, even in a political race. I'm a democrat, and although I've heard that this extended primary period could actually benefit our party because it keeps our candidates in the spotlight, I think it also shows a definite flaw in our election process.

I'm not a political expert and I won't begin to dissect the inner-workings of our electoral process, but the issues surrounding Michigan and Florida, as well as terms such as Super Delegate, need to be fixed. I want the right person to be our next president, and I think that it's important not to rush something.

Clinton was left for dead before last week, but she has seen new life and I think she deserves that opportunity. The American people deserve the opportunity to have the candidate of their choice. I don't want us to rush a decision, but I also don't want the primaries to take away from the general election because ultimately, that decides the president. Obama and Clinton can campaign against one another endlessly, but resources could become limited when it' finally time to face Senator John McCain and the Republican Party.

Information provided by: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/8925.html


No comments: