Monday, March 24, 2008

NYT Article on Two McCain Moments

The article mentions that in 2001 McCain was contemplating switching parties and in 2004 he met with Senator Kerry about running on the same Democratic presidential ticket. The Democrats claim that they were approached in both instances by the McCain camp, while his advisers assert the opposite.

I hadn't heard any of this information before. The Republican primary candidates should have used to this information to tarnish his conservative credentials. I wonder whether the Dems will use this during the general election. They don't seem to be addressing his candidacy at the moment. The media isn't focused much on McCain. The only negatives I remember throughout his campaign are just the gaffes. Even last week's "Iran Al-Qaeda" gaffe isn't getting much airplay as it would have had it been done by Obama or Clinton.

Two McCain Moments, Rarely Mentioned

2 comments:

Matt P said...

I think it's pretty apparent that Senator McCain is a very moderate conservative. He was against many of the policies set forth by the Bush Administration, but he realized that he belonged in the Republican Party.

Although it's interesting to hear that he had these kinds of talks with Democrats, issues are already well-documented about McCain's conservatism or lack thereof. This is why Huckabee managed to still gain a decent proportion of the popular vote.

Right-Wing Republicans are not in complete support of McCain and that could work to the Democrat's advantage, but I don't see the benefit in exploiting something already known to the American Public. I do think it's a very interesting thing to think about though.

LilyLuke said...

I have heard that McCain is a moderate Republican, but as fervent a Democrat I am, any time I hear Republican I turn off my listening radar. Call me ignorant, I know. So to hear that he was considering such a switch makes me feel a lot better about the worst case scenario, which I will not dare type into existence.