Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Close Race A Dividing Factor

I meant to post this the day after the March 4th primaries but I still feel it is relevant.

I am one of the most indecisive people ever, which explains why despite all of my conversations, research, and reflection thoughout this Democratic primary, I have not been able to decide between Obama and Clinton (and we can throw in Edwards too). Until now. While I supported both candidates before, the recent competition has unveiled my alleigance. I find myself rooting more and more for Hillary Clinton as I start to like Barack Obama less and less. How many other Democrats are feeling the same way? It's like a close football game - even if you weren't rooting for anyone at the beginning, you can't help but choose a side when the competition is so stiff and the stakes are so high. Yesterday's contests felt like the last 10 seconds of the final quarter, and if Hillary lost, the game would essentially be over - which psychologically may be why I swung to her - I can never resist an underdog.

But she made the touchdown at the last second and now the game is in overtime. Though I should be happy about her success, I feel ambivalent and tired as well. I worry about the polarization that is festering in the Democratic party. Apparently, her negative attacks against Obama worked temporarily to keep her afloat, but I think the long term damage will be irreparable. No matter what, almost half of the Democractic voters will be devastated with the Presidential nominee. And will the "cult-followers" of Obama be consolable? Will the gung-ho Clinton supporters be consolable? How will this primary affect the Presidential election? As a Democrat, the worst part is seeing the unifed Republicans with their final choice. The G.O.P. finished their game a long time ago and is waiting for the finals.

In track and field, there are two races at a meet to determine a winner. First, the trials narrow the many competitors down to a final 5 or 6 (depending on how many lanes the track has). Then the final few compete head-to-head for the gold. Strategywise, a runner only runs as fast as she needs to in the trial race to preserve energy for the finals. If she runs too hard in the first race, she might not have enough gas when its REALLY important. The Democrats are having a tight and exhausting trial race right now, but I worry that neither of them will have the endurance to compete with freshly-rested McCain when the time comes. Ultimately, it's all about November.

Will we be able to recover when the Presidential elections begin? Will we even have the energy left?


No comments: