Thursday, March 6, 2008

Us Weekly Interview With Barack (as mentioned in class)

In the new issue of Us Weekly, presidential candidate Barack Obama invited news director Lara Cohen to join his campaign for a day. He described some of his best Just Like Us moments, and took our Presidential Pop Quiz (where he revealed that his daughters think Britney and Paris are "yuck").

Some excerpts from the Us interview:

How familiar are you with Us Weekly?
My wife reads it.

Do your daughters Sasha and Malia ever ask about Britney Spears?
Actually, yeah. But they're very sensible. They're pretty down on Britney and Paris and all of that. They think that's very "yuck." They're way more into Hannah Montana and Beyonce. They got to go backstage and meet Beyonce and they just love her to death.

Your supporters include Oprah Winfrey. Ever been starstruck?
I don't really get starstruck. Everyone I've met has been very nice and friendly, like Kal Penn. During the writers' strike, he was like a staffer! And Scarlett Johansson has been traveling a lot. George Clooney is a good friend. He and I worked on Darfur issues together. I'm always impressed by people who do their homework... and use their celebrity to advocate for issues. George does that just about as well as anyone I know.

So, boxers or briefs? Bill Clinton said he wore boxers in a 1992 interview with MTV.
I don't answer those humiliating questions. But whichever one it is, I look good in 'em!

2 comments:

Katherine K. said...

After the comment made in class comparing Obama to Kanye West, I have to agree. When people become arrogant, we tend to dislike them. Obama's comment regarding boxers and briefs is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I know that he's trying to be funny, but it just comes off as concited. I think that if you want to be taken seriously, you need to present yourself in a serious manner.

XX said...

For me, when Clinton was asked, it was more of a humanizing experience. Like, it showed that he was just like every other human who puts his pants on one leg at a time.

The way Barack handled it, it not only failed to humanize him because he regards himself as "above" that line of questioning, it makes him come off as self-important/cocky.

When professor stables likened my Kanye West comparison to people who only like music that's not popular yet, he misunderstood the situation. I like rooting for underdogs but I'm also happy when deserved people become successful without fame going to their heads. Obama appears to have (and Kanye definitely has) let his own popularity catapult his ego into a place that borders on making him unlikable.