Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Victory for Clinton?


Clinton's overwhelming defeat of Obama by receiving 50% of the vote compared to his 33% in Florida's primary last night, but can you count that as a victory if there are no delegates at stake? Granted I am no genius when it comes to politics, but I do know that throughout the primaries one of the main goals is to collect delegates, 2,025 in fact to capture the the nomination. With Florida being stripped of their delegates for wanting to move up their primary, in my opinion, this victory really does not count as a victory.

It is conceivable that Clinton was attempting to slow down the Obama campaign after a solid victory in South Carolina, but promoting a victory in a state where the other candidates did not spend time or money in seems to me that she may be getting desperate. I also have to return to the Michigan primary, where again no delegates were rewarded, and yet Clinton's name was the only one on the ballot. In all fairness, she will receive the media coverage of the fact that she did win by a large margin in Florida, and she is probably hoping that this "victory" will help her secure more delegates on Tuesday's primaries, but in my opinion I see this as her struggling to retain delegates and therefore is overjoyed when she wins a state that does not increase her chances of obtaining the nomination.

On a side note, it will be interesting to watch the debate on Thursday with Edwards dropping out. I have a feeling that this debate is going to be an even worse cat-fight than the previous one.



No comments: